Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer activities

Sunset at the Baltic sea

End of the June and whole July have been extremely active season for me. It started with the Jukola orienteering relay competition in Hyvinkää. I was extremely satisfied with my performance on my leg. I managed to complete the orienteering track of 9,2 kms at the time of 1:34 on a demanding terrain. This was one of the best runs I have done at Jukola commpetitions :)

Fin5 orienteering week was held on Ruokolahti at the beginning of July. I was planning to run 5 days on a row, but managed to do only 4. When running on the fourth day at the forest I was hit by the branch of the tree to my right eye, which was temporarily blinded and it infected. I had to abort and seek medical aid. With the antibiotics my eye was OK after couple of days.

Just before Fin5 week, I was kayaking on the lake of Saimaa 3 days. It was amazing hot during those days and every time when reaching a new island, we had to swim. Water was exceptionally warm after long sunny and warm period. The temperature was above 30 degrees Celsius.


I'm standing at the border of Finland and Sweden

Right after the Fin5 we started our longest kayaking trip this year. One week at the Baltic Sea between Finland and Sweden. We paddled from Åland to Sweden via the Märket lighthouse island and back. During this trip we visited at 3 lighthouses: Märket, Sälskär and Understen (Sweden). One of the best experiences during this trip was to stay overnight at Märket and have the tent sauna with refreshing dip to the sea. Just wonderful trip!

Märket lighthouse

Right after the Märket kayaking trip I started next kayaking trip to Porvoo and Helsinki. During 5 days I visited at 4 lighthouses: Söderskär and Tiiskeri near Porvoo and Suomenlinna and Harmaja near Helsinki. Harmaja was my 16th Finnish lighthouse to be visited by kayak. I have still lot's of lighthouse visits still to be done...


Söderskär lighthouse

The July ended at the week of mountain biking and oienteering at Hämeenlinna and Lahti area. It was tough week with 3-4 hours exercises every day on a tough terrain. I hadn't biked too much before this week, but somehow I managed to survive it.


Happy mountain bikers after 50 km exercise at Hämeenlinna

No comments:

Post a Comment