Thursday, July 14, 2011

17. day 44 km (in total 707 km)

<Merikarvia, Merikarvia - Norrgrund, Kristiinankaupunki>

Sunset at Norrgrund, Kristiinankaupunki

Yesterday when I was arriving to Merikarvia it was already blowing 10 m/s from west and wind was increasing all the time. During the night and the morning it went up at 12 m/s and therefore I decided to wait for the wind to calm down a bit.

I had the breakfast and lunch at camping place and when the wind seemed to ease a bit according the forecast I headed onto a sea at 2 PM. Wind was from NW and I struggled with 6-8 m/s tailwind first couple of hours. Fortunately weather was calming down in the evening and I managed to reach southern islands of Kristiinankaupunki. The waters are shallow and shoals are everywhere, this day was one of the nastiest I have had during my paddling trips. I had to be focused and alert all the time due to a strong wind, waves, rocks and shoals. I really don't like to paddle on the waters of Merikarvia...

Shoals and rocks and waterway zigzagging between them

Now I'm listening the sound of the wind and waves in my tent. I hope I'll have good sleep after tedious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment